Step-by-step.... painting US Officer Drumpf

While I was on holiday in Italy with my wife, there were a few days of rain and that meant using the brushes and colors that I had brought along. :)

Donny Drumpf was chosen as the next target and off we go:

I started off with the Khaki-Yellowish uniform with the following colors: MC887 Brown Violet, MC 873 US Field Drab, MC882 Middlestone and MC847 Dark Sand (from darkest color to the lightest). The base color was a mix of Middlestone and Field Drab. On the trousers I went generally a bit darker with Brown Violet and the uniform shirt generally more yellow-ish and lighter.


The base color was a mix of Middlestone and Field Drab. On the trousers I went generally a bit darker with Brown Violet and the uniform shirt generally more yellow-ish and lighter.


The following pictures show pretty nicely and in many steps how I build up shadows and highlights and how I use different color tones to make sure that the mid-tones don't disappear and also to make sure that the mid-tone is actually not just one tone, but many different ones to make it look more interesting.










For the leather jacket, I used MC941 Burnt Umber for the base. As you can see from the pictures, the color is heavily thinned down and doesn't really cover with one or two layers. 


Just by playing around and placing a second or third layer only in some places and not everywhere, you can already achieve transitions of light and shadow. 


Added Game Color Blue Ink to the mix to start building out shadows.



MC847 Dark Sand is added to the base color to create highlights. Also painted the helmet using MC 887 Brown Violet, adding black for the shadows and Dark Sand for the lights.




For the belt I used various grey, brown and light colors that happened to be on my palette after working with the colors from the previous steps. I do this a lot by the way: Not necessarily always looking for a new color in a bottle, but first looking at my palette to see if I can use something right there as a light or shadow color. The reason I do this? Because I am lazy and don't want to shake and open another bottle of paint. ;)

For the boots, I used MC846 Mahagony Brown for the base, added black for shadows, MC847 Dark Sand for highlights and glazed a bit with good old Games Workshop Chestnut Ink. 



Now, the face... Two thin layers of MC846 Mahagony Brown. Followed by adding MC847 Dark Sand for lights and MC822 German Camo Black Brown for shadows. For some of the final light dots and lines, I added pure white to the mix. As Mr. Drumpf is always a bit red-headed with strangely pale looking areas right around his eyes, I tried to achieve a similar look by glazing in pure MC947 Red everywhere except around his eyes.  


Lastly, and that brings me to the final pics as well, I painted his funniest trademark... his hair. 

The base color is MC981 Orange Brown mixed with a bit of MC846 Mahagony Brown (as usual pretty thinned down and not covering with a layer or two). For the shadows I added more Mahagony Brown and for the lights Dark Sand. As some of Mr. Drump's hair is grey, I also mixed myself some random light grey tone and painted the hair frame around his face with that. Did a couple of passes painting shadows and lights, followed by glazing in the base color again and finishing off with a glaze of Game Color Yellow Ink.





There you go. I hope he's not going to build a wall between himself and the other heroes in my cabinet. :)

>> Here is the link if you want to get a copy of Donny for your own army.

You want to be one of the first to see new releases from Stoessi's Heroes? Join our Facebook Group for sneak peeks!

Labels: , , , , , ,